14 Jul 1976: Two members from 11 Squadron and two ground crew personnel from 19 Squadron were killed when an 11 Squadron Cessna 185A, Serial No. 712 crashed at the Umtali River Mouth. The casualties were:
- 70264742PK 2/Lieutenant (Pilot) Mario Almeroe Janse van Rensburg from 11 Sqn. He was 21.
- 69250231PE Corporal Charles Lloyd van der Merwe from 11 Sqn. He was 23.
- 745725767PE Private Izak Jacob Joubert Geyser from 19 Sqn. He was 18.
- 7227390BA Private Gerhard Nicholaas van Rooyen from 19 Sqn. He was 19.
14 Jul 1982: Three crew and five passengers of a SAAF 21 Squadron Swearingen Merlin 4A, Registration ZS-JLZ and four members of a civilian Piper Navajo, Registration ZS-KTX were killed when the aircraft were involved in a mid-air collision at night over the residential area of Swartkops. The Merlin aircraft was returning from South West Africa and was descending onto a wide left hand base-leg to land at AFB Waterkloof when the aircraft collided with a civilian Piper Navajo that had just taken off from Lanseria and was in the climb while routing to Wonderboom airport. The casualties were:
CREW OF MERLIN ZS-JLZ:
- 73262883PM Captain (Pilot) Jan Izak Tobias de Villiers. He was 25
- 76318641PE Lieutenant (Co-Pilot) Leon Goldstein. He was 21
- 77011971PE Flight Sergeant (Miss) (Air Hostess) Annerie Niemand. She was 23.
- 01221530PE Major General Dirk Johannes van Niekerk was Chief Director, Logistical Support of the SAAF. He was 53. (Major General van Niekerk was also a Korean War Veteran)
- 01215524PE Major General Jacobus Marthinus Crafford (Deputy Chief of Staff, Finance, SADF. He was 48
- 01166180PE Colonel Johan Adam Coetzer from the Danie Theron Combat School. He was 48.
- Mr K.K. Pretorius (Secretary to the Treasury, Department of Finance. He was 55
- Mr Neels Bothma (Accountant-General, Department of Defence). He was 49.
CREW AND PASSENGERS OF PIPER NAVAJO ZS-KTX:
- Mr E van der Walt
- Mr C. Marais
- Master J. van der Walt
- Master M. van der Walt
14-Jul-79 Gd Cossam Sanduka RHQ Delta, Op Tangent GF DOAS